The Minneapolis City Conference is the oldest conference in the State of Minnesota. Originally, there were four schools in the conference: Central, East, North, and South. Changes occurred as the district’s student population changed. West High School was the first to be added in 1907/08 school year. During the 1920’s more high schools were added, Edison in 1922, Roosevelt in 1923, Marshall in 1924, Washburn in 1925.
East High School’s name was changed in 1927 to Vocational.
The conference reached its largest point with 11 schools with the addition of Henry in 1939 and Southwest in 1940.
Another school located in Minneapolis, University High, was a laboratory school created by the University of Minnesota Board of Regents in 1908. Their scores are also included here even though they mainly participated in the Tri-Metro conference. This school was on the University of Minnesota campus.
In 1968, Marshall and University high schools combined to form Marshall-University. Most of their athletics were as part of the Minneapolis City Conference. However, some sports were in the Tri-Metro Conference.
Vocational also withdrew as a high school and became an alternative school as well as a post secondary school.
The biggest change in the Minneapolis City Conference came in 1982 when Central, Marshall-University, and West closed, shrinking the conference to seven schools.
Three other schools entered the Minneapolis City Conference in the 2010s:
- FAIR School for Arts, which opened in 2000 as an inter-district school, became a fully run Minneapolis Public School in 2016.
- Heritage Academy, which began as a charter school, also joined the conference in 2016.
- Wellstone International High School was in existance for a number of years, with their students participating at Roosevelt. In 2016, Wellstone fielded their own teams.