What is GEAR UP?
GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness & Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a nation-wide, federally funded grant initiative offered through the U.S. Dept. of Education. Minneapolis Public Schools was awarded their second seven-year GEAR UP grant in 2020. Over the course of the grant, GEAR UP will serve 2,700 Minneapolis students in 15 of the districts middle and high schools. This project supports the classes of 2027 and 2028 and will follow the same cohort of students through their senior year of high school.
Five Key Objectives
- Increase GEAR UP students’ academic performance and preparation for postsecondary education
- Increase GEAR UP students’ rate of high school graduation and postsecondary enrollment
- Increase GEAR UP students’ and families’ knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation and financing
- Increase percentage of GEAR UP students who enroll and succeed in postsecondary education
- Increase the preparation of teachers and staff to teach and serve GEAR UP students.
Services Supported by the Grant
- Dedicated staff to help students, families, and school staff find college related resources.
- Academic preparation and interventions for post-secondary attainment.
- Ongoing support from School Counselors to stay on track towards graduation and achieving graduation standards.
- Informational sessions to learn about the variety of college and career options, how to pay for college, and how to apply for college.
- Opportunities for students to visit and tour colleges, and participate in summer programs.
- Support services such as, mentorship with college students, tutoring, and engagement activities.